Why Conserve Energy?
Energy should be conserved since we are consuming disproportionate amount of energy and that day is not far when all our Non-Renewable resources will expire forcing us to rely just on Renewable Sources. The electricity that we use comes from nuclear power, coal power plants, Oil that we use to run our vehicles are fossil fuels that were created million of years ago from decaying plants. When burned they emit carbon-dioxide which is harmful to humans and the environment.
Apart from these it also helps us to save money, mitigates the numerous adverse environmental and social impacts associated with energy production and consumption. These include air pollution, acid rain and global warming, oil spills and water pollution, loss of wilderness areas, construction of new power plants, foreign energy dependence and the risk of international conflict over energy supplies. Energy conservation extends the lifetime of equipment and reduces the maintenance cost by operating less hours and at less than maximum capacity.
Reduce Consumption on Non-Renewable Sources
Consumption on Non-Renewable Sources must be reduced as much as possible.
1. Resource Depletion : By using these resources in excess, they are going to deplete one day and will take another millions of years to form again.
2. Save Money : Usage of fluorescent bulbs , solar electricity may cost expensive initially but prove to be cost-effective in the long run. Many energy efficiency and conservation measures are better investments than the stock market or bank interest.
3. Reduce Carbon-dioxide : If Non-Renewable resources are used up to the limit they may also help in reducing the carbon-dioxide. Pollution from nuclear and coal power plants cause diseases like asthma, emphysema etc.
4. Cliimate Change : Due to increase int the rate of these resources it also affect the climate greatly, Drought, Severe storms, floods, land loss, erosion of soil and heat deaths are few examples of climate change.
5. Ozone Layer Depletion : Ozone layer in the atmosphere protect us from ultraviolet rays from reaching the earth thus, making life on the earth possible.
6. Adverse affect on humans and the environment : Extraction of Uranium and Coal from beneath the earth cause huge affect to the lives of cola miners. These people have high cancer death rates. They also harm the environment and agricultural lands.
7. Acid Rain : Coal power plants and vehicles emit sulfur dioxide (SO2) and nitrous oxides (NOx). These travel beyond the local area and are harmful to the health throughout whole regions. When SO2/NOx and water vapor mix under certain conditions, sulfuric acid and nitric acid, know as acid rain, are formed. This is very harmful to the lungs. It kills fish in lakes, corrodes property (buildings, monuments, cars), harms the soil (releasing toxins), and harms trees and crops.
8. Global Warming : With so much dependence on Non renewable sources, global warming is taking place all over the world and the result which is glaciers are melting which is causing the rise in the sea level.
Latest posts by Rinkesh (see all)
- 9 Modern Ways to Recycle Your Old Furniture - October 22, 2016
- 41 Insane Facts About Tesla Motors - October 22, 2016
- How Tech Advances Have Helped Companies Increase Their Sustainability? - October 19, 2016