15+ Wonderful Ways to Reduce Greenhouse Gases
When people burn fossil fuels such as coal, gasoline, oil and natural gas there is increased level of carbon dioxide released into the atmosphere which is a major contributor to global warming and greenhouse effect. The emissions basically trap heat close to the surface of the earth. If people are to reduce the greenhouse effect, then they have to reduce the demand for fossil fuels.
Moreover, because of the greenhouse effect, there is rapid increase in the earth’s temperature leading to high sea levels and extreme storms together with other climatic problems. If people work together to address this problem then we can help fight global warming and reduce our carbon footprint.
Here are 15+ easy ways to reduce greenhouse gases.
1. People especially those who can afford it can use hybrid cars. The Hybrid technology works in such a way that it allows the car to significantly reduce their greenhouse gas emissions. Hybrid cars use more of electricity than gasoline thus reduced carbon dioxide emissions. Additionally, when it comes to usage people should not consume meat daily as it leads to higher carbon footprint. The whole process of getting meat down from the pasture to the table for consumption a lot of fuel together with energy is required.
Energy is used in raising the animals, processing the meat and most of all keeping it from spoiling. If one learns how to diet or take meat in reduced amounts then they can reduce their carbon footprints. Besides, growing veggies requires very less energy as compared to that of meat. Hence, changing our lifestyles is just the right step towards reducing greenhouse gases into the atmosphere.
2. Use hair conditioning and less heat. Keep the temperatures at moderate rates all the time. Additionally, when one is away during the day or in the night while they sleeping they can turn down the heat. A programmable thermostat can be installed because having to set it 2 degrees lower during winter and even higher in summer could save around 2,000 pounds of the gas carbon dioxide annually.
One can also add insulation to their walls together with windows because they help lower the amount of heating which costs more than 25% the amount of energy which is needed to heat and even cool the home.
3. Reduce, recycle and reuse. When people recycle close to half of their household waste, they can save around 2,400 pounds of carbon dioxide each year. Instead of throwing excess waste to the atmosphere increasing the amount of carbon dioxide one can instead buy products with minimal packaging. Reducing waste also involves purchasing reusable products rather than disposable ones like getting a reusable water bottle.
Most importantly, people have to figure out the size of their carbon footprint which is the amount of carbon they are releasing to the atmosphere through their activities. Additionally, they can determine the appliances which are producing the high amount of energy and work on eliminating them.
4. Buy energy-efficient products. When purchasing home appliances it is important that one looks at the energy-efficiency models. These home appliances come in various ranges of energy-efficient models thus there is need to determine those that will ensure reduced emission of energy and greenhouse gases in return. Additionally, compact fluorescent bulbs which are designed to provide a more natural-looking light can be used instead of the standard light bulbs because they use far less energy.
5. Drive smart and less. If people are to drive less it only means fewer carbon dioxide emissions because people will save on gasoline. Besides if we drive less and bike or walk it means that they take up more exercise. Furthermore, when driving one has to make sure that their car is running efficiently.
An example is keeping the tires of a vehicle properly inflated so that it reduces gas mileage for over 3%. A person has to keep their car in good condition if they are to reduce the emission of greenhouse gases. A person saves on costs for every gallon of gas that they save on. Similarly, it helps keep around 20 pounds of carbon dioxide out of this atmosphere thus reducing the amount of greenhouse gases.
Clearly, car related emissions are the major cause of global warming. Manufacturing these cars, production of fuel together with making the roads is a major source of the gases which are harmful to the environment.
6. Plant a tree. Trees absorb carbon dioxide from the atmosphere and in turn give off oxygen. One tree absorbs around one ton of carbon dioxide in the whole of its lifetime. Hence, if someone has the means to plant trees now is the time. One can also create a garden and plant trees in that garden as this also serves the same purpose.
7. Use less hot water. One can wash their clothes in cold or warm water so as to reduce their use of hot water together with the energy required to produce it. This change is able to save at the minimum, 500 pounds of carbon dioxide each year in many of the households.
There is also need to save on energy as it results in production of carbon dioxide. By setting the water heater at 120 degrees Celsius, it can save energy. Low-Flow showerheads can also be purchased to save on water and probably 350 pounds of carbon dioxide each year.
8. Avoid those products with excessive packaging. Excessive packaging means that one is going to throw away excess waste to the environment especially in the compost sites and landfills where they pollute the environment. Less packaging is therefore better as it reduces wastage and high greenhouse gases released into the atmosphere during product production.
9. Buy green electricity. There is need to adopt the renewable sources of energy such as wind, solar, hot rocks and wave power. There is a possibility that coal, natural gas and oil will be depleted from the earth’s surface and as such, adopting safe and renewable sources of energy is imperative. If one is to reduce the emission of greenhouse gases then they have to replace their entire energy systems by opting for electricity from green energy sources.
10. Teleconference and telecommunicate more. Most business professionals take flights, private cars and public transport to their places of work or for their meetings. These objects emit so much carbon dioxide gases to the environment which results in global warming. Through using these technologies to communicate, one does not record high carbon footprint as compared to using other means of transport.
11. One can replace the light bulbs. Compact Fluorescent light bulbs can be used instead of regular light bulbs. If a CFL is used instead of 60 watt incandescent one saves $30 over the life of this bulb. In addition, CFL bulbs last much longer, 10 times, more than incandescent bulbs. They also use two-thirds less energy while giving off 70% less heat.
If a CFL is used instead of a regular bulb then it would help eliminate around 90 billion pounds of greenhouse gases which is the same as taking 7.5 million cars off our roads. One can use natural light during the day instead of keeping them on. In this case they open up their blinds and allow the sunshine into their rooms.
12. Dry the clothes by hanging them on the line. To dry clothes one does not require the use of natural gas or electricity. Using ironing boxes means that much heat is generated and emitted into the atmosphere which results into increased greenhouse gases.
13. People can use non-toxic household products. Most of the household cleaning products are considered toxic besides being petroleum based. These products are considered as the main causes of high levels of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere. These toxic chemicals can be eliminated through making the right choices in the supermarkets of purchasing products which are less hazardous to the lives of people or the environment.
14. Often use the off switch. By switching off the electricity, one reduces the amount of global warming while they only use the amount of energy that they need. In addition, when you are not using your computer, television, music system, then there is need to turn them off. Unplug any appliances that is not used especially our mobile charging systems because even though they are switched off they sap energy. Water should be used sparingly, for example when brushing your teeth you should turn off the water. Also, when shampooing the dog or washing your car, you have to stop the water flow until you are done.
15. People should learn to conserve. To increase people’s awareness about the effects of greenhouses programs and policies have to be set to help with information and knowledge sharing. People must share information and knowledge recycling and energy conservation with everyone in the workplace, surrounding. The public officials also have to be informed of the benefits of such policies and programs so that they support such courses and take action to address such problems.
Image credit: byrev , Tarabiscuite
Latest posts by Rinkesh (see all)
- 15 Extraordinary Benefits of Orange Juice You’ve Probably Never Heard of - October 12, 2019
- 13 Impressive Health Benefits of Yams To Improve Your Overall Digestive Health - September 28, 2019
- How Tourism Affects the Environment (Environmental Impact of Tourism)? - September 28, 2019