21 Good Reasons To Go Green
Why go green? Everywhere you go people are talking about going green and how it impacts the planet. From plastic bags to chemical products, people are trying to come up with new and impactful ways that they can go green. While there are a number of ways in which to go green, there are also many reasons which are often forgotten. Taking the time to understand these reasons will hopefully motivate you to follow this very popular and important trend.
Going green is a personal choice that is embraced by individuals to contribute towards the betterment of this planet and make this place a better place to live for future generations to come. Here are 21 good reasons why to go green.
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.
– Native American Proverb
1. Increase Value of Your Home: You could significantly boost the overall value of your home just by making your home eco-friendly. By installing solar panels on the roof top or adding a water-saving toilet and shower, you will not only save money but create a perk for new buyers should you ever sell your home. Moreover, green homes use sustainable materials that have low impact on the environment.
2. Massive Savings in Energy Costs: The U.S Department of Energy states that if buildings were all green-improved that the U.S. would use $20 billion less energy every single year. You can also receive discounts by making your home a greener one. These energy savings can come up as part of fixing small things in your home or office that can reduce your energy consumption. For e.g.: just by running your washing machine full loads, you can reduce significant amount of water and power during each cycle.
3. Save money on your water bill: You can also potentially save hundreds of dollars on your current water bill. Purchasing Energy Star appliances as well as water-saving plumbing systems will consistently save you hundreds of dollars on your water bill on an annual basis.
4. Green Homes are More Durable: When you create an eco-friendly home, you are creating a more durable one. Recycled products have the tendency to last over five times longer than traditional materials. This also means that you will save more money on maintaining your home.
5. Improve Your Health: By purchasing an eco-friendly vehicle and home you could be decreasing the amount of pollutants that get into the air. This makes both the indoors and outdoors have cleaner air for you to breathe. Ultimately, you will be breathing better air. Improved health means less spending on insurance products and hospital bills.
6. For Your Kid’s Future: In the long run, you are doing the right thing for the environment. You are creating a cleaner and brighter future for your children and generations after.
7. Clean and Green Environment: When you go green, you are effectively reducing your carbon footprint. By reducing pollution, you are reducing the amount of energy that is being used and creating a greener and cleaner environment.
8. Recycling Helps You To Be More Creative: Not only do you save energy as well as money but you have the opportunity to create useful items out of recycled materials. This helps you to become more creative and come up with new ways to be energy and material efficient. Buying less and buying used products are also Green choices.
9. Breathe Healthy Air: Using all-natural products makes you a healthier person. When you will be healthy, you are going to be more productive at workplace. The less chemicals the products you use have in them, the less toxins you and your family are breathing in. Everything from household products to cosmetic products can be purchased as an eco-friendly product. Green homes have better indoor air quality as paints and cleaners are low in volatile organic compounds which makes it comfortable for home-owners to breathe.
10. Self-Sufficiency: Going green can help you to be less reliable on fuels and other harmful toxins. You will become self-sufficient and be able to create new and innovative ways to get back and forth to work and save energy in your home. Living a sustainable life requires make use of renewable energies and other resources.
11. Boost Economy By Eating Green: Eating green means eat local, organic and seasonal products. Eating green food have global consequences. When you buy and eat organic food and dairy products, you can boost local economy and reduce greenhouse gas emissions required to get that food on your plate. Eating organic food will also make you a healthier person as it does not contain harmful chemicals, pesticides and added hormones. Organic farming means responsible land use and farming practices.
12. Reduce Electric Bill: By switching to renewable energy sources like solar panels, you can save considerable amount of money every month on your electric bill. Green alternatives like CFL’s, LED’s and energy-saving door and window fixtures use less energy and by replacing traditional bulbs with these, you can save energy and money.
13. Increase Productivity: Going green saves you from toxic products and environmental pollution. This helps you to live a healthier lifestyle which eventually increase your productivity both at workplace and at home. When you breathe polluted air, you are actually inhaling toxic chemicals present in the atmosphere that could affect your body’s immune system to fight against infections.
14. Save Rainforests: Every year a large area of rainforests goes towards developing of roads, highways, townships, and agriculture. In short, due to increase in urbanization, people are using the areas covered by rainforests for their own interests. Similarly, several trees are axed to produce a ton of printing and writing paper. Rainforests act as air purifiers and are lifeline for thousands of plants and animals.
15. Reduce Carbon Emissions by Green Travel: When you choose green mode of transportation either by car pooling or public transportation, you actually reduce your carbon emissions which helps you to reduce your carbon footprint. Using less number of vehicles on road means less pollution in air and less money spent on gasoline and car maintenance.
16. Making Stuff Requires More Energy: Preparing a stuff from scratch requires more energy and thus has an environmental impact. By choosing green products that are made up from recycled materials you can reduce your carbon footprint and that will also reduce the amount of waste that goes to landfills.
17. Green Products are Non-toxic: Green cleaning and skin products do not contain toxic and harmful chemicals. When you choose to use traditional products, think of all those chemicals that enter your body
18. Increase in Business if Product if Eco-friendly: If you are running business, going green can help you to attract more customers. Consumers will jump on board if a company or product is eco-friendly. If you market your business as an environment-friendly one, then people are definitely going to buy your product.
19. Set as an Example For Others: If your business goes green, your employees will be much happier. Employees will grow to appreciate the gestures and see that you care about the environment and you may even be able to pass good habits onto them.
20. Nature Took Care of Us; Its Time To Pay Back: The world is not going to be around forever. The longer that you take care of it the longer it will last. Taking small steps such as recycling and saving energy will benefit the Earth for a much longer time.
21. Going Green Will Make You Feel Happy: Going green makes you a happier person. You will feel better about yourself as well as the people and environment around you. You will feel a sense of accomplishment for doing something positive for our earth. By going green you are teaching a valuable lesson to your children as well as their children. You are teaching them how important it is to be kind to nature and the environment which is something that can be passed on for generations.
Going green can make a big difference in how you perceive the world around you. Taking a few small steps at a time can make a big impact on the people and the world around you. These are all viable and easy ways that you could go green. It does not take much time, just a little compassion and effort.
Image credit: Pranav Prakash , Chris Potter
Latest posts by Rinkesh (see all)
- 35 Reasons Why We Need to be Environmentally Conscious - January 18, 2017
- Causes, Effects and Solutions to Eutrophication - January 15, 2017
- 20+ Reasons Why Plastic Bags Should be Banned - January 14, 2017