21+ Terrific Reasons For Living Off the Grid and Live Your Dream Life
Living off the grid means living in a more comfortable life without using public resources. Those with off grid homes are always very comfortable; they do not depend on public utilities such as water supply, electricity and other social amenities. This a way of having independent life and moving away from the common public utilities that can keep one chained down. Misplaced notions or careers or duties and responsibilities of the society can act as a barrier to personal freedom, but living off the grid surely has its benefits. Let’s have a look at them.
The greatest fine art of the future will be the making of a comfortable living from a small piece of land.
~ Abraham Lincoln
1. Becoming your own employee. Being your own employer is not about being the manager of a large company, because the managerial duties can still deter one from doing other activities as well as being with the family. Living independent life is the only way out of becoming your own manager. Having talks with the brave people for an assurance, talk to them about how they make a living and they get their freedoms.
2. Having a debt free life. Establishing a home on your own land without buying a land and adding value to it without incurring debts can help one to live a debt free life. Taking too much loans for education will make one to be in debts throughout his or her life since one will start paying those debts immediately he or she starts to earn. Other payments such as tax and insurance may also contribute to a vicious cycle of debts.
3. There is no need of working throughout the day in order to pay water and waste collection bills. Instead of having permanent job to get good money for paying bills but in reality the job is not enjoyable, one can establish his or her own source of water and dispose his or her waste without polluting the environment since it is being done in a more environmental friendly way and connection to the sewer lines will not be necessary.
4. One can also be relieved from power bills by generating his or her own electricity. Using solar or wind energy as alternatives ways of conserving wood help when there is deficit.
5. Working hard for your individual goals. Most people who are living off the grid are focused on their mission looking forward to achieving their own goals without being threatened. In such a life, there is even no need for being supervised. Having a definite goal helps them to achieve their dreams.
6. Sharpening skills to increase earning potential as the living expenses are very low. Making use of the acquired skills can help one to live independently by having different set of things. One can perfectly do without cash by making money living off grid as there is no need of aiming for huge income since the living expenses are very low.
7. Cutting down unnecessary expenses. Reducing your current expenses to the bare minimum can give a very nice idea about what you can live without. Getting rid of club memberships and the rare use of credit cards can save a lot on luxury expenses. Living off the grid will provide you with the opportunity to participate in inexpensive outdoor activities.
8. Getting rid of unnecessary items. Too many possessions deter one from downsizing, therefore one need to shift off the grid. There is no need of buying a fine china and expensive furniture to entertain guests, buy only the essential things.
9. Getting into the money saving mode. The only way to live off the grid is by living inexpensive life but there is need to have some cash in hand to buy land and set up a home. You can also decide to use animal wastes instead of buying artificial fertilizers. It will be a source of nutrients to the soil leading to better crop yields. Also, such manures are also free of organic chemicals resulting in a healthy population and environmental protection.
10. Quitting expensive habits. Avoid habitual shopping, partying, betting, eating out and expensive beauty therapies by living off the grid. Relieving yourself from such activities reduces wastages and saves on money.
11. Travel to less populated areas. By living off the grid, you get to have fun and lots of adventure by living and travelling in remote areas that are less populated. It simply let you get firsthand experience of different places.
12. Smaller footprint. By living off the grid, you’ll be able to conserve and recycle most of the materials and essential products you need for survival. It translates to cutting down on waste generation.
13. Find the best way to learn. This involves learning how to grow vegetables, rearing animals, learning how to dispose water, and waste management. You can also learn how to harvest and store rain water and how to conserve water during daily chores, use agricultural waste to make compost, curing manure and implementing a way of controlling pests naturally to make the off-grid living both sustainable and environment friendly. You can also check for the books out of the library, attend workshops and practicing from your own backyard.
14. Mastering necessary survival skills. Living off the grid means living far away from the support system the city offers, which means relying more on your personal skills. One needs to pick up the essentials skills and practicing them while in the wild to have the confidence of living off the grid.
15. You’ll only need to use basic tools and weapons. Living off the grid doesn’t require complex tools and weapons to go about the daily activities. Life becomes very simple as you’ll acquire basic food preservation techniques like drying and pickling which are more cost effective than refrigeration. You’ll also learn how to make other essential things by yourself.
16. Initiating some dietary changes. Most people opt to go off the grid for a wholesome and healthy lifestyle, for example, eating the natural diet and avoiding processed foods. The dietary changes are best if one wants to maintain a healthy living and eat fresh, tasty, and quality food.
17. Set up a small home from scratch. Living off the grid means conservation of resources and a sustainable lifestyle. Therefore, you can build a tiny house on a small plot and live the best life on the planet.
18. You get to own a wonderful and affordable home. Going off-grid is a great idea because it will ensure you have own a wonderful home at an affordable price. Instead of saving for a life-time to own a house in the urban area, you can get a wonderful and affordable home by making a decision to live off the grid.
19. Gain some knowledge about alternatives fuels. Besides water and food, we cannot do without fuel, something that has influenced the demand for fossil fuels across the globe. Use of energy from the sun for heating and cooking, for instance, can be a cheaper and better option. Harnessing power from the wind is also a great alternative. This will help to reduce environmental pollution because it will reduce dependence on fossil fuels. It will also help to improve the living standards of the surrounding as there will be reduced air pollution from gases or smoke as in the case of fossil fuel, especially coal and firewood.
20. Stopping being a social recluse. Living off the grid will need you to stay away from the hustle and bustle of city living. However, it does not mean that you’ll cut off all social ties. In fact, you’ll maintain connections even more with families and friends by occasionally visits to town as you’ll feel you are missing them. Living off the grid will also help you acquire unique stories to tell and also share your experiences, and might inspire those living in the city to come and feel a taste of your rustic life.
21. You become environmentally responsible. Considering our current city or urban lifestyles, most of us neglect being part of environmentally responsible people. We use our cars more than needed and engage in a lot of wastage. By living off the grid, it teaches you how to become environmentally responsible by gaining practical knowledge through working on the land, growing vegetables, rearing animals, making useful things with your hands, conserving and recycling materials, and the use of alternate fuels.
22. Connect with nature and live happily. Living off the grid ensures you are always in touch with nature and it guarantees one of the most fulfilling and happy lifestyles. Besides, connecting with the natural world promises a profound and satisfying rural life without noise or pollution.
Image credit: pixabay
Latest posts by Rinkesh (see all)
- 20+ Extraordinary Reasons Why You Should Use Public Transport - August 17, 2017
- Causes, Effects and Solutions of Illegal Dumping - August 10, 2017
- How Eco-friendly Products Can Improve Your Home - August 9, 2017