Advantages of Solar Energy
Solar energy i.e. energy from the sun provide consistent and steady source of solar power throughout the year. As our non-renewable resources are set to decline in the years to come, it is important for us to move towards renewable sources of energy like wind, hydropower, biomass and tidal. The main benefit of solar energy is that it can be easily deployed by both home and business users as it does not require any huge set up like in case of wind or geothermal power. Solar energy not only benefits individual owners, but also benefit environment as well. Solar energy is one of the most widely used renewable energy source.
Though solar energy also suffers from some drawbacks, it is important for you to review the pros and cons before going ahead with installing solar panels at your home or office. There are two major disadvantages of solar energy i.e. high cost and availability of sunlight during daytime only.
Learn more about solar energy:
- Disadvantages of solar energy
- Facts of solar energy
- Pros and cons of solar energy
- DIY – Solar panel cooker
- How solar energy works?
- How to build solar power panel
- How solar power panels work?
I’d put my money on the sun and solar energy. What a source of power! I hope we don’t have to wait until oil and coal run out before we tackle that.
– Thomas Edison
There are many advantages that solar energy has to offer over traditional sources of energy like coal and oil. Not only it is completely renewable but is also protects the environment. Here are some of the advantages of solar energy.
1. Non-polluting: Solar energy is an alternative for fossil fuels as it is non-polluting, clean, reliable and renewable source of energy. It does not pollute the air by releasing harmful gases like carbon dioxide, nitrogen oxide or sulphur oxide. So, the risk of damage to the environment is reduced. Solar energy also does not require any fuel to produce electricity and thus avoids the problem of transportation of fuel or storage of radioactive waste.
2. Renewable Source: Solar energy is a renewable source of energy as it can be used to produce electricity as long as the sun exists. Sunlight is available everywhere on the Earth. This energy can be harnessed by installing solar panels that can reduce our dependence on other countries for consistent supply of coal to produce electricity. Although solar energy can not be produced during night and cloudy days but it can be used again and again during day time. Solar energy from sun is consistent and constant power source and can be used to harness power even in remote locations.
3. Low maintenance: Solar cells generally doesn’t require much maintenance and run for a long time. More solar panels can be added from time to time when needed. Although, initial cost of solar panels is steep but there are practically zero recurring costs. Initial cost that is incurred once can be recovered in the long run that range from 10 years – 15 years. Apart from this, solar panels does not create any noise or release any toxic substances.
4. Easy Installation: Solar panels are easy to install and does not require any wires, cords or power sources. Unlike wind and geothermal power stations which require them to be tied with drilling machines, solar panels does not require them and can be installed on the rooftops which means no new space is needed and each home or business user can generate their own electricity. Moreover, they can be installed in distributed fashion which means no large scale installations are needed.
With the advancement in the technology and increase in the production, the cost of solar panels have come down slightly. Areas where cost of electricity is high, payback times can be even lower.
5. Can Be Used in Remote Locations: Solar energy can be of great boon in areas which have no access to power cables. It works great in remote locations where running power lines would be difficult or costly. Solar panels can set up to produce solar energy there as long as it receives the sunlight.
6. Long Lasting Solar Cells: Solar cells make no noise at all and there are no moving parts in solar cells which makes them long lasting and require very little maintenance. Solar energy provides cost effective solutions to energy problems where there is no electricity at all.
Solar power technology is improving consistently from time to time. As our non-renewable sources have started declining, it is important for the whole world to move towards renewable sources of energy. There are however several things which is stopping solar energy from being used more extensively. Solar energy disadvantages need to be overcome as technology improves and its usage will increase as people begin to understand the benefits offered by solar energy.